I love junk TV. You know, the guilty pleasure type of shows. The ones you don’t tell people you watch unless they admit it first. On the more mainstream end of my junk TV habit falls Top Chef.
Top Chef is down to five Cheftestants now:
- Stephan – German chef with 23 years experience. He is one cocky SOB. I don’t know how the other Chefs can stand him, but if you’re going to act like that, you’d better have the skills to back it up…and he seems to have those skills.
- Fabio – Italian with a great Italian accent, but his name makes it difficult for me to take him seriously. I always think of that romance novel guy when I hear the name. But I do love how he frequently works “monkey ass” into his narratives.
- Hosea – the only American male left standing. He has been canoodling with fellow chef, Leah. I believe he has survived by staying in the middle of the pack most of the time and not making too many waves.
- Leah – She’s lucky to have made it this far. She has been canoodling with Hosea. (see above) She is the whiniest of all the Cheftestants and makes me want to yell at the TV: “suck it up!”
- Carla – Extremely likeable and goofy, she has the best interview quotes. I believe a lot of viewers are pulling for her to pull out the upset.
And then there are the judges:
- Padma – attractive and well-spoken, she keeps the ball rolling. What’s with that scar on her arm? I applaude her for not trying to keep it covered up and letting fashion rule her wardrobe instead.
- Tom – Accomplished Chef, Tom knows the technical ins and outs.
- Toby – OMG. I think this Brit dreams up crazy analogies the night before and then tries to find an event to use them on during the taping. I’d love to critique him. So would the Cheftestants, I’m sure!
- Guest Judges – each week, there is someone different in this slot. It is hilarious that they all seem to have something to stump and the “prize” for winning a challenge is oftentimes the Guest Judge’s latest book.
I’d love to hear your views on who will win, who ticks you off, and which challenges you think are particularly lame. What are your most memorable moments from this season thus far? Any predictions? What about the obvious product placements? Favorite quotes?